Tuesday, March 10, 2009

What A Day


Overall it was not a bad day. Tiring, but not bad. Just a monotony of appointments really. Questions, bloodwork, pulse, x-ray, Echo, etc. The most informative part was the video and tutorial on what to expect prior to, during, and post surgery. It sure can get the nerves going though :) We just want it over with. 

We did have a question for Dr. Petracek before we signed the consent for surgery forms. I really wanted to hear more about the different valve options if a replacement was necessary. They're both wretched in my opinion. If you choose the prosthetic valve, it only has a life span of approximately 10-15 years before needing to be replaced again. So in Jayme's lifetime he would undergo maybe 4 more replacement surgeries. But with the mechanical valve it's about 30 years before needing another replacement which still means that Jayme would more than likely need at least 1 more replacement surgery in his lifetime plus you are required to be on Coumadin or some kind of blood thinners for the rest of your life. Yuck!!! If you know me, I'm not so much pro-meds and it's hard for me not get passionate about staying away from them. Especially the kind you're on for life starting at 33 years old. It can't be good for you!

This is one of the reasons we are choosing not to wait on the surgery any longer so that our chances for repair do not grow any slimmer. Dr. Petracek came in and spoke with us briefly. He did ease my mind to hear from his perspective how passionate he is in his desire to repair the valve over replacing it. He said he is 80/90% confident that it could be repaired and that he would rather repair it even if he had to leave a slight leak than replace it. That helped me! I know he will do all that he can to repair it...and all that he can is a lot. We continue to hear nothing but confidence and praise for his surgical prowess. I think I like him. He's one of those people that you just cannot imagine as a child. (or maybe that's just how my mind works) He's so serious, so direct. I can't pin his personality, (amazing since I've spent a total of about 45 minutes speaking with him) but I do trust his ability.  

We still pray for complete and total healing but if surgery is necessary, we really ask you to pray that a replacement valve would not be needed and that the repair would be perfect. Dr. Petracek did say that 20% will need to be operated on again at some point and 10% of that 20 will be within the first week after surgery. I think that's what he said, the stats could be higher. I was a nerd trying to take notes but I think I failed here. We also pray for minimal amounts of pain and amazingly quick recovery!! 

Pray for me also as I know that I will need strength to let my husband go into the hands of these surgeons, to witness him in pain and a state of helplessness. I cry just thinking about it. Pray that I have only encouraging words to give him prior to the surgery as it will just be he and I back there together. His unwavering faith and strength and determination is truly amazing to see. He isn't looking forward to it but he's not looking back either. He's so much better than me. 

Well, Jayme's family comes in tomorrow and we did our best to enjoy this last evening together before things get a little crazy. We went to one of our favorite dinner spots. The Red Pony. It's beaucoup bucks so it's a real treat when we go but Jayme's been saving his per diem so we had a nice treat! I included a picture for your viewing pleasure :) 

2 comments:

  1. thanks for the update. i will continue to pray for COMPLETE healing and will stand in faith, alongside of you, if surgery is the road to be journeyed. i don't have your email address so email me at: mrs.trontell@gmail.com

    i work downtown and will be close...so don't hesitate to ask for anything. also, has anyone asked you about starting a meal delivery schedule? i know we all do this after everyone has a baby, but i feel this is just as important and could help you tremendously. Let me know.

    p.s i LOVE the Red Pony....we were there for our anniversary 2 years ago. Yummm!

    p.s.s my mom has a mechanical valve and takes coumadin. she has to watch her blood levels, but other than that...she is back to normal life and doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you tried to picture the doc as a child... you're hilarious!

    ReplyDelete